Campaign Timeline

Cinema History

Originally a 750 seat cinema from 1912-1961, then used as a bingo hall for 20 years. It was bought by Wetherspoons in the 1980’s who, as well as building the the bar, kitchen and dining areas, thankfully left most of the Art Deco cinema intact – including 150 balcony seats.

Campaign History

• Summer 2021

Wetherspoons announce surprise sale of St George’s Hall to developer Landrose.

• November 2021

The campaign to save the cinema receives over 7,000 petition signatures.

• December 2021

Campaigners present a proposal for a restored cinema, housing provision, spacious public amenities, a community kitchen and a vision for the building to unite the neighbourhood, provide training and jobs. This is received with unanimous cross-party support by Bristol City Council.

Bristol City Council grants Asset of Community Value (ACV) status to St George’s Hall.

• February 2022

Landrose appeal the ACV status and it is dropped.
They submit a change of use planning application to Bristol City Council to convert the building into Houses of Multiple Occupancy, with a small area at the front of the building for commercial purposes.

We need your help to keep the cinema!